Homelessness 201: Motivational Interviewing Skills Practice II: Promoting Change & Complex Reflection on ZOOM
January 29 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
This is the second Motivational Interviewing (MI) workshop in a series of three. Incorporating the foundations of MI learned in the first workshop you will be introduced to the stages of change model and how MI utilizes this approach for assisting clients to initiate and further their process of change. You will learn how to evoke from your client their reasons for change, assess readiness, and incorporate complex reflections into your work. By the end of this workshop you will:
· Know how to appropriately respond to and work with your clients stage of change using MI
· Be able to form complex reflections to evoke intrinsic motivation
· Have practiced “focusing” in order to narrow down your clients concerns into a “target behavior” that becomes the focus of change
· Have used the “Change Ruler” and decisional balance in the process of identifying various aspects of client motivation
· Understand the uses of MI, in what context it is most helpful, and how to begin using MI strategies with your clients.
· Have practiced effective listening skills to support deep understanding of what your client(s) are motivated towards
· Understand and have practiced OARS
Steve Carlson, PsyD has been working in the mental and chemical health field for over thirty years in a variety of settings, mostly in clinical and management positions at various Community Mental Health Centers. He is currently employed by the University of Minnesota as a Clinical Trainer at the Minnesota Center for Chemical and Mental Health. Additionally, Steve is a Community Faculty Member at Metropolitan State University. His areas of interest and specialty include Integrated Mental and Chemical Health Treatment, Stages of Change & Motivational Interviewing, Harm Reduction, Mindfulness and Mental Health, The Psychology of Long-Term Homelessness, Trauma-Informed Care using the Sanctuary Model, Supportive Housing Model and other mental health topics. As a Certified Minnesota Trainer in Illness Management and Recovery (IMR) Steve provides training and consultation to agencies around the State of Minnesota and nationally. Steve is a member of MINT, the Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers. He can be reached at email@example.com
This is a 3 hour training.
How to register: Registration below is broken into Member & Non-Member. If you are unsure whether you are part of a member organization or would like more information about membership, please contact Michele. If you choose to pay by credit card, you will be walked through payment process and receive an automated email confirming your payment and registration. If you choose to pay by check, you will receive an invoice from MESH. Payment is expected prior to training date. Please contact Michele if scholarship help is needed. You may register more than 1 person at a time and note the names in the space provided. I will send out the Zoom link to participants the day prior to the training.