- This training has passed.
Motivational Interviewing Skills Practice II: Promoting Change & Complex Reflections
June 3, 2019 @ 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
This is the second Motivational Interviewing (MI) workshop in a series of three. Incorporating the foundations of MI learned in the first workshop you will be introduced to the stages of change model and how MI utilizes this approach for assisting clients to initiate and further their process of change. You will learn how to evoke from your client their reasons for change, assess readiness, and incorporate complex reflections into your work. By the end of this workshop you will:
· Know how to appropriately respond to and work with your clients stage of change using MI
· Be able to form complex reflections to evoke intrinsic motivation
· Have practiced “focusing” in order to narrow down your clients concerns into a “target behavior” that becomes the focus of change
· Have used the “Change Ruler” and decisional balance in the process of identifying various aspects of client motivation
· Understand the uses of MI, in what context it is most helpful, and how to begin using MI strategies with your clients.
· Have practiced effective listening skills to support deep understanding of what your client(s) are motivated towards
· Understand and have practiced OARS
Steve Carlson, PsyD has been working in the mental and chemical health field for over thirty years in a variety of settings, mostly in clinical and management positions at various Community Mental Health Centers. He is currently employed by the University of Minnesota as a Clinical Trainer at the Minnesota Center for Chemical and Mental Health. Additionally, Steve is a Community Faculty Member at Metropolitan State University. His areas of interest and specialty include Integrated Mental and Chemical Health Treatment, Stages of Change & Motivational Interviewing, Harm Reduction, Mindfulness and Mental Health, The Psychology of Long-Term Homelessness, Trauma-Informed Care using the Sanctuary Model, Supportive Housing Model and other mental health topics. As a Certified Minnesota Trainer in Illness Management and Recovery (IMR) Steve provides training and consultation to agencies around the State of Minnesota and nationally. Steve is a member of MINT, the Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
This is a 3 hour training. If you have questions about membership status, please contact Michele at email@example.com
To register, choose either the $35 Member or $70 Non-Member option. You can choose to pay by credit card or check. If you choose to pay by check, you will receive an invoice. Payment is expected prior to training date unless other arrangements have been made. You may register more than 1 person and add those names where asked. Please contact Michele at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.